Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Paper Heart

I've always loved Valentine's Day.

When I was in first grade, I loved singing "Mail Myself to You" in music class. I loved making a mailbox out of a shoebox. I loved coming home with a list of my classmate's names and cutting out a red paper heart for everyone.

Everyone.

A paper heart for my best friend with whom I chewed gum in bed.

For the girl who wore the cool go-go boots I so longed to wear.

For the girl who lived in a fancy house with stairs.

For the boy I chased in circles around the playground. I'm not sure what I would have done with him if I'd caught him, but it felt so good to run in my white blouse and navy blue skirt, my knee socks and my tennis shoes.

I made valentines for all of the kids in the class. For Mike and Michelle and Ashley. For Chris and Connie. All of them.

Now here's one for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment