Wednesday, June 2, 2021

In Their Shoes



Many thanks to the Oregon Poetry Association for awarding my poem "From the Journals of Rumpelstiltskin" first place in their spring Members Only category.

You can read the poem here, as well as wonderfully evocative works by Melody Wilson and Suzy Harris.

I've written a few fictional journal poems, including "From the Imaginary Journals of Venetia Burney," which was published in The Wild Word, as well as a series about a kidnapped heiress, which is part of my forthcoming collection from Finishing Line Press. 

As a fiction writer, I find persona poems let me have my cake and eat it too. You get to imagine what it's like to walk in someone else's shoes, while using the juicy, concentrated language of poetry. If you're stuck for a new writing idea, you might give this a whirl. Simply pick a character (real or fictional) and let your imagination run wild. 

No comments:

Post a Comment