Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Improv


Something nice happened a few weeks ago.

A stranger who likes our poetry post slipped a book of their own poems through our mail slot. Inside the book was a handwritten note from the author, Taylor L. Ciambra:

"Hello! Thank you for sharing poems with the neighborhood! It always makes my day when I see a new poem up during a walk or jog. I want to share my poems with you as a way to show gratitude. I hope you enjoy them!"

Bowled over by this gift, I wanted to show my gratitude in turn. I took words from their poems (breadcrumbs, beard, motorcycle, heels, flannel) as well as the title of the book, Away with Words, and wove them into a freewrite/poem. Then I posted it for Ciambra alongside one of their poems to see the next time they jog by. I titled my writing "Improv" because Ciambra's bio says they're a "theatre maker and writer." The ending refers to a popular improv game that asks participants to work together, accepting each other's ideas and keeping a conversation alive. No script required.

Once again I'm reminded that writing is as much about conversation and connection as anything. May we all be joyful participants in organic exchanges with friends and strangers alike.


Improv

           for Taylor L. Ciambra


Away with words

      A way with words

with sentences

and similes

      dressed in hiking boots,

      not heels and stockings


A way

     to weigh

moments

     to follow breadcrumbs

               to bandaids,

                   sleeping bags,

                        and beards


Your words

       the salt breeze on (y)our

              bare neck, whiff

                     of sugar and of smoke --

one shoulder cocked

    inside a leather coat,

              one shoulder nestled

                      in a flannel robe.


                 Away with words

A way with words

                A word:

                     Yes

                or two:

                     Yes, and...




2 comments:

  1. What a great story, Linda! AND, what an imaginative weaving of Improv! AND, what a lovely start to a community conversation and connection. Well done, dear poet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carolyn! I was so impressed with our neighbor poet's bravery. It takes guts to share your work with strangers!

      Delete