Sunday, April 15, 2018

Words and Pictures




In the 2013 film "Words and Pictures," Clive Owen portrays an English teacher who spars with an art instructor played by Juliette Binoche. What's more important, the pair asks, words or pictures?

I'm beyond happy that my poem "Sighs of the Mermaid" will appear in Dancing Girl Press's mermaid anthology alongside a collage my daughter made after her first year of college.

Mermaids have been a bit of a theme for her. When my daughter was in elementary school, she made the above sculpture. The project was part of an art and writing camp I co-taught with my friend, the artist and educator Margaret Synan. Although the theme for the camp was "Wild Winged Things," my daughter had her own ideas and created her wingless mermaid instead.

The mermaid anthology is scheduled for publication sometime this summer, not long after my daughter's college graduation. What a fitting way to celebrate this rite of passage and the creative/feminist journeys we're on...both separately and together with our fellow female artists. 

January 2021 update: The Dancing Girl Press project never happened, but you can read "Sighs of the Mermaid" in VoiceCatcher Journal.


No comments:

Post a Comment