Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Certain Fame


Some of my creative writing students have gone pantoum crazy, writing powerful poems with a pattern of repeating lines. As for me, I’m on a little haiku kick.


After seeing an apartment called "Casa Linda," I came up with this poem:

My name, not on a
book cover, but published on
an apartment sign.

According to our former poet laureate Robert Hass, the haiku form started out as an improvisational game that Japanese writers used to play at parties. Apparently, a group of them would make poems by adding to each other's lines and riffing like jazz musicians.

In keeping with that tradition, my Saturday creative writing students will meet next week to socialize and play around with words.

If you feel like joining us, bring a pen...or maybe your saxophone.


Saturday, February 15, 2014
10-11:30am
100th Monkey Studio, 1600 SE Ankeny St.
Cost: $20 per class

No comments:

Post a Comment