Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Dance, Dance Revolution

Teachers. I like them. I even married one. Our daughter was four when she started taking ballet.  I’d always been drawn to dance and had tried taking a class myself, but when my smirking teacher saw how lost I was, he told me I could just stand in the back and watch.

I didn’t have the nerve to try ballet again until I saw how patient my daughter’s teacher was. A few months later, I signed up for Miss Barbara’s adult class, and the year after that I appeared on stage in my first performance. (“What’s Love Got To Do With It,” an essay about those early attempts at dancing, has just been published by Mount Hope Magazine http://www.mounthopemagazine.com/.)


As much as I love ballet, I was also dazzled by Miss Barbara’s teaching, and I knew I wanted to do that too – to share what I loved with other people. The first time I taught Creative Writing, I had a group of kindergarteners peer into a pool of waving water and dictate to me what they saw. Since then, I’ve had the good fortune of working with kids of all ages as well as adults who bring an eagerness and sense of adventure to every class.

I have two new adult creative writing classes coming up this fall. In these hour and a half sessions, we’ll write from prompts to create fresh images, voices or subjects that may become the raw material for poems, stories, personal essays and other creative pieces.  All experience levels are welcome.  Tutus are optional.

Creative Writing for Adults
Saturday mornings, 10-11:30am
November 16th & December 14th
100th Monkey Studio, 1600 SE Ankeny St.
Age: 16+
Cost: $20 per class

No comments:

Post a Comment