Monday, December 28, 2020

It takes two, baby

Many thanks to the editors of both Human/Kind Journal and Sonic Boom Journal, who recently published segments of my Sally and Rodrigo vignettes.

I dreamed up these two characters some years ago. At the time, I eagerly jotted down ideas about them. I knew they both like sitting on their attic floor and smoking and that they had a habit of turning off all the lights and pretending they weren't home. I didn't, however, know where to go from there. Then this spring I suggested to my quarantined writing students that they look for inspiration in the fauna in their neighborhoods. I'd seen a mallard pair splashing in a rain puddle across the street and suddenly I knew what the next steps were for Sally and Rodrigo.

You'll find "La Celebración" on page 32 of Sonic Boom. "El Vuelo" is Human/Kind's December 3, 2020 post.

No comments:

Post a Comment